I took the leap a couple of weeks ago and upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
To be clear, I’ve actually been really impressed with Windows 10. It’s one of the best upgrades I’ve seen from Microsoft and my laptop is definitely faster at boot up.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you change your Privacy settings in the Settings panel though, otherwise it’s easy to imagine you’re the subject of a reality show on some app developer’s computer a thousand miles away.
So let me get to the subject of this post.
I’ve run into the BSOD three times since installing Windows 10. The first two times, I rebooted a few times and it finally ended up working.
The last time.. this morning.. no such luck.
I kept getting these errors and an endless loop of blue screens
Finally, after a couple hours of this I discovered a solution.
It might work for you.. it might not. I’m NO PC expert so if this doesn’t work for you…. I’m not the right guy to ask more questions…
I’m on a DELL XPS Laptop and I use a USB keyboard and mouse (that’s highly relevant here)
This is just ONE solution to try if you’re on a laptop using external USB ports
- Hold down the power button to shut down your computer
- Wait 10 secs or so and push the power button
- Immediately hit the F2 button to bring up the setup panel
- Goto the Advance Tab > Miscellaneous Devices > External USB Ports
- Disable the External USB Ports
- Save and Exit which reboots again.
- You should see the repair screen, then a Diagnosing Your PC screen
- If so, the next screen will be DIFFERENT.. Yay!
- You’ll see advanced recovery and other options
- I used a system restore from 3 days ago (system files only) and it worked.
- I rebooted again, hit F2, Re-enabled my External USB Ports and problem solved
If you’re having an endless loop of Blue Screens and are using External USB ports, this might be a solution for you.